Fable writer Ivan Krylov monument in Saint Petersburg
In 1845, when Ivan Krylov died, almost immediately, began collecting funds for the installation of the monument in his honor. Citizens and municipal authorities met this idea enthusiastically. Soon, a special committee was established, which in the three years of its existence has managed to collect a huge amount. Once the funds have been collected, the Academy of Arts has announced a competition for the best project of the monument. So, in the competition took part the best sculptors of St. Petersburg. Choosing the best project took about a year and a half, and as a result, November 26, 1849 the committee approved the monument, designed by Peter Clodt. The sculptor worked on the monument for about five years, and in the spring of 1854 the monument was cast and began chasing the bas-reliefs.
They depict scenes from famous works of Krylov. Here you will find the fox and the crow, and a frog with an ox, and an elephant in the fable “The Elephant in the province”, and a rooster and a grain of pearl, and of course, the famous quartet of animals, musicians and many characters created by Krylov. Every image is expressive and naturalistic, which is not surprising, because the “models” for sculptor were very real animals!
Read more »