Russian Empress Maria Alexandrovna monument appeared in a small Siberian city of Mariinsk, on September 15, 2007. The author of the monument, Tomsk sculptor Leonty Usov created it on voluntary donations from individuals. The Empress sits on a bench and holds a dove in her hand – a traditional symbol of peace and the Holy Spirit. The bench has a place, specially left for those wishing to have a picture with her. By the way, the city got its name in honor of the Empress in 1857. Born Marie of Hesse and by Rhine German princess, became known in Russia as Maria Alexandrovna, the first wife of Emperor Alexander II. In addition, in Mariinsk there is also a bust of Emperor Alexander II. Besides, Mariinsk is the only town of Kuzbass (Kemerovo region), which the Russian Emperors have ever visited.
Alexander II, who at the time of his reign visited the city. The bust of the Emperor appeared in the center of the city in 1914, but in 1917 the authorities transferred it to the Tomsk Museum, where it remains to this day. In 2009 a local sculptor created a replica of the bust, and put it again in the same place where it was in 1917.
Maria Alexandrovna was well educated, well-versed in music, and knew the latest literature. She established the Russian Red Cross, which quickly developed into the largest social-state structure, to accumulate in their accounts a huge amount remitted by philanthropists from all over Russia. The Empress is the highest patron of the Red Cross. Total Empress patronized 5 hospitals, 12 almshouses, 36 shelters, 2 institutes, 38 schools, 156 lower schools and 5 private charities. The Empress has played an important role in the liberation of the peasants. She spent huge sums to charity. During the war, she refused to even sew new dresses and all these savings gave the benefit of widows, orphans, and the sick and wounded.
Russian Empress Maria Alexandrovna monument