The Monument to 1200 Guardsmen is a memorial and a mass grave of the soldiers of the 11th Guards Army (this is the number of people who died here), which stormed Konigsberg in the spring of 1945, the main monument of the Great Patriotic War in Kaliningrad. In the center of the composition there is a 26-meter obelisk with bas-reliefs telling about the course of a grandiose battle, next to it is the Eternal Flame. On the sides of a small oval square there are sculptural groups depicting soldiers of the Red Army – “Storm” and “Victory”.
Monument to 1200 guards in Kaliningrad History
The very first memorial on the territory of the USSR in memory of the victims and in honor of the victory of the Soviet people in the Great Patriotic War.
Unsurprisingly, it was staged in the newly conquered Königsberg, a city that has become a symbol of fallen Germany. According to Soviet data, the total losses of the troops of the 3rd Belorussian Front from April 1 to April 10, 1945, which were actively fighting during this period during the assault on Koenigsberg – 3,700 people were killed.
The monument to 1200 guards in Kaliningrad is a memorial, a mass grave and a monument to the soldiers of the 11th Guards Army who died in the assault on Konigsberg.
The grand opening of the monument took place on September 30, 1945. In 1946, the sculptural groups “Storm” and “Victory” were installed.
Architects – I. D. Melchakov and S. S. Nanushyan, sculptors – P. Vaivada, B. Petrauskas, B. Pundzius, R. Jakimavičius, K. Jaroschunas, Konstantinas Bogdanas, who worked under the direction of Juozas Mikenas.
A huge monument was erected on a dead-end section of Gvardeisky Prospekt. This part of the street is closed to car traffic, now there are parades in front of the monument. The ponds in the park are also part of the Königsberg fortifications. At the very beginning of the closed section of the avenue, one more old city gates have been preserved – Ausfalskie
What to see
- Obelisk in the center of the memorial.
- Sculptures “Storm” and “Victory”.
- The monument is separated from the adjacent Victory Park by a semicircular wall, parting in the center. A dozen and a half dozen relief images of the emblems of the combat arms, types of weapons, flags, orders and medals are mounted on the wall.