Monuments reveal

Story behind monument

Belarusian Monumental Cult Sculpture

Belarusian Monumental Cult Sculpture

The Holy Virgin. 1st half of the 17th c. Wood, carving, multi-coloured. John Baptist’s Catholic Church, Mstsibava, Vaukavysk district, Grodna region. Belarusian Monumental Cult Sculpture

Belarusian Monumental Cult Sculpture
According to historians, the cult sculpture on the territory of Belarus origins in the Paleolithic times. To early samples of the monumental sculpture of the ancient Slavs belonged to the figures of pagan gods, destroyed with the adoption of Christianity. Noteworthy, for Orthodox churches, volumetric plastic for many centuries remained unacceptable. A sculpture of Christian content could appear in Belarus not earlier than the end of the 14th century. However, even in the 15-16th centuries it was still very rare. Traditionally, masters decorated churches, both Orthodox and Catholic, with painting.
The earliest sculptural plot was the “Crucifixion”, usually located on the prelattic arch (girder) or at the altar of the church. Quite often under the cross with Jesus depicted the future Mother of God and the Apostle John. The collection of the Museum of Old Belarusian Culture includes sculptures of the 16th century. In particular, “Our Lady” and “Apostle John” from Volkovysk. The subtle features of Mary’s face resemble Renaissance images. Deep large folds of clothes have a Gothic origin, and a calm straight figure and a canonical hand gesture tell us about the connection with the icon painting tradition.
Read more »

Armenian sculptor Ruben Isaakovich Shaverdyan

Kinto Street Singer. 1968. Slipwear. Work by Armenian sculptor Ruben Isaakovich Shaverdyan 1900-1977

Kinto Street Singer. 1968. Slipwear. Work by Armenian sculptor Ruben Isaakovich Shaverdyan (1900-1977)

Armenian sculptor Ruben Isaakovich Shaverdyan
Tiflis of early XX century, with carefree-cheerful kinto, with the traditions of street festivals, noisy circuses and feasts, gives inexhaustible material for the most diverse artistic embodiment. In pre-revolutionary Tiflis next to the world of city governors, military, bankers, officials, artisans, kinto and shopkeepers, there was a world of educated, famous and obscure, rich and poor artists. And at the turn of the 1910s and 1920s, at a turning-point in the history of Georgia, a constellation of masters gathered here that made the specific atmosphere of the artistic Tiflis even brighter.
Ruben Isaakovich Shaverdyan received an art education in the school of painting and sculpture at the Tbilisi Academy of Arts. His teachers were Yeghishe Tatevosyan, BA Fogel and AA Saltsman. These three different artists to some extent complemented each other as teachers, and each of them sought to make their artistic ideal – the property of the students. Shaverdyan finished his studies in 1924, and since 1926 he has been a regular participant of art exhibitions.
Read more »

Beloved woman of Italian sculptor Gian Lorenzo Bernini

Beloved woman of Italian sculptor Gian Lorenzo Bernini

A furtive glance, the strands of untidy hair thrown back and the nightgown slipping from her shoulders – Bust of Costanza Buonarelli, 1636. Beloved woman of Italian sculptor Gian Lorenzo Bernini (7 December 1598 – 28 November 1680)

Beloved woman of Italian sculptor Gian Lorenzo Bernini

The swarm of runners scattered along the stone pavement and broke the silence of the morning city. The younger brother flew ahead with a distraught look, and the older one raced after him. Already in the cathedral, catching him up, he raised over his younger brother’s head an instrument of violence … Lorenzo Bernini, one of the brilliant artists of Rome, favorite of popes and the audience, resembled the biblical Cain who is about to will bring down his anger on the head of the unfortunate Abel.
Meanwhile, it all happened because of the one whose marble bust Bernini sculpted – Costanza Buonarelli. A furtive glance, the strands of untidy hair thrown back and the nightgown slipping from her shoulders – such was the lover from under the chisel of Lorenzo.
Traditionally, the bust portraits in marble could have only kings, popes and other wealthy persons, and certainly men. But not half-naked women… However, Bernini didn’t care any canons and rules. Since childhood, Giovanni Lorenzo, or just Lorenzo, considered himself a man who can do a lot.
Read more »

Decebalus face unique rock carved sculpture

Decebalus face unique rock carved sculpture

Located on the border of Serbia and Romania, Decebalus face unique rock carved sculpture

Decebalus face unique rock carved sculpture
If your way passes through Serbia, then you can see the statue from the opposite bank of the river in good and clear weather. Route 25-1 passes along the Danube, at a slight distance from the high rocky coast. Leaving the car at the road, you can go to the shore through the forest (about 200-300 meters) and will see the monument behind the bridge. The distance to the nearest city of Tekiqa is about 11 kilometers.
Carved from a monolithic rock, the head of the last king of Dacians Decebalus is, in fact, the largest rock monument in Europe. Decebalus (87–106 AD) became famous for his frequent raids on the Roman Empire. According to belief, Decebalus, who did not want to give up, committed suicide by piercing himself with a sword.
Noteworthy, it took the sculptors ten years to create this impressive monument, completed in 2004. Twelve sculptors-climbers worked on a sculpture, which height is 40 meters and a width of 25 meters. Besides, the place not chosen by chance. Here, in the narrow canyon of the Danube, the Roman emperor Trajan in 105 won the final victory over the army of Dacia.
Read more »

Outstanding ballerina Olga Lepeshinskaya monuments

Outstanding ballerina Olga Lepeshinskaya monuments

According to local historians, the statue which adorned Tverskaya Street in Moscow depicts Lepeshinskaya, famous Russian ballerina. Work by sculptor Gennady Motovilov. Outstanding ballerina Olga Lepeshinskaya monuments

Outstanding ballerina Olga Lepeshinskaya monuments
Once, the statue of the “ballerina” adorned the house on Tverskaya Street (former Gorky Street) in Moscow. However, the authorities removed the monument 60 years ago, in 1958. According to one version, because the rulers did not like to drive “under the skirt”.
Meanwhile, the local historians state that the statue depicts a ballerina Olga Lepeshinskaya, who allegedly lived in the same house. In favor of this version, was the fact that Stalin, who determined the appearance of Gorky Street, often visited the productions with her participation.
However, four times Stalin prize winner Lepeshinskaya herself denied this fact. Here is her answer: “I never lived there and nobody sculpted a statue from me. But the fact is that at the beginning of the war I was on duty on this roof, extinguished German lighters.”
Read more »

Mstislav Leopoldovich Rostropovich monument

Mstislav Leopoldovich Rostropovich monument

Opened in Moscow in 2012, on March 29 Mstislav Leopoldovich Rostropovich monument. Work by the sculptor Alexandr Iulianovich Rukavishnikov, architect Igor Nikolaevich Voznesensky

Mstislav Leopoldovich Rostropovich monument

Born March 27, 91 years ago, Mstislav Leopoldovich Rostropovich was an outstanding cellist, pianist, conductor, and public figure. Also, he was a teacher, five-time Grammy Award winner, State Prize winner of Russia, People’s Artist of the USSR.
A bright memory to the Great Musician became a monument opened in Moscow in 2012, on March 29, not far from the so-called House of Composers in Bryusov Lane. The place, where the musician lived with his wife, the great opera diva Galina Pavlovna Vishnevskaya. In fact, the opening ceremony took place in the frame of celebration of 85-year anniversary of the birth of a famous musician and conductor.
The author of the sculptural composition was the sculptor Alexander Iulianovich Rukavishnikov, who worked in tandem with the architect Igor Nikolaevich Voznesensky.
Performed from bronze cello, bow and strings, as well as dynamism in the image of Rostropovich create the impression that from the pedestal will soon sound divine music.
Read more »

Stories behind musical instrument monuments

Stories behind musical instrument monuments

Bronze monument based on Anton Chekhov story ‘Romance with a double bass’. Sculptor Dmitry Lyndin. Opened in 12 September 2008 in Taganrog, Russia. Stories behind musical instrument monuments

Stories behind musical instrument monuments
Located on the avenue of Pushkinskaya Embankment, the monument “Romance with a double bass” appeared in Taganrog 12 September 2008.
Based on the eponymous humoresque of Anton Chekhov “Romance with a double bass”, it immediately became favorite of the townspeople. As a literary basis, the sculptor Dmitry Lyndin took the image of the young princess Bibulova. She, in an absurd combination of circumstances turned out to be locked in a case of this double bass. The graceful maiden figure cautiously peeps out of the case, and on the face of the beauty we see fright, while the elegant leg is ready to hide back.
Noteworthy, the instrument without a cover, and a lady without clothes. However, there is not a drop of vulgarity, because the love of music is not erotic, but platonic. At the heart of the idea is a simple and universally accessible metaphor. For its implementation, the sculptor chose an ideal shape: no sharp corners and smooth lines.
Read more »