Bauman district people’s militia monument appeared October 14, 2015, in Moscow on Razgulay Square, in the Bauman district. The monument dedicated to the 7th Bauman division of the people’s militia, which took part in the defense of the capital. Formed in 1941 during the Great Patriotic War 7th Bauman district people’s militia played a huge role in the defense of Moscow. Noteworthy, it included people of different professions and nationalities, and consisted of about 12,000 people. The authors of the monument – sculptor Zurab Tsereteli and architect M.M. Posokhin. The monument is a three-meter composition of copper – a figure of a woman with a portrait of a soldier in her hands and a girl.
Dressed in a hoodie woman, as a collective image of grief, in a broad sense she personifies Motherland and can be a wife, sister or mother of a soldier. The portrait in her hands symbolizes the eternal memory of the heroes. The girl, on the contrary, smiles, she is a symbol of a peaceful future. A bronze sculpture about 3 meters high was installed on a granite pedestal, on which engraved a thank you sign: “To the Bauman people’s militia of 1941 from grateful Muscovites”.
The seventh division of the militia of the Bauman district was formed at school number 353 (Bauman street, 40). The commander of the division was one of the teachers of the Frunze Academy, the brigade commander Ivan Zaikin. In July 1941, the militia trained in the forest in the Khimki district, but soon began moving to the front line, continuing to learn literally on the go. In October, the division took its first battle in the vicinity of Vyazma. Unfortunately, about half of the militiamen died. However, later, the remnants of the regiments joined forces of the 19th Army.
Bauman district people’s militia monument
source of images