Monuments reveal

Story behind monument

Category Archive: History

World Famous Song Katyusha Monument

World Famous Song Katyusha Monument

Installed in 2013 World Famous Song Katyusha Monument. 2013. Sculptor Ivan Kulakov

World Famous Song Katyusha Monument
Actually, the monument embodies women of the Soviet Union longing for their absent beloved, who has gone away on military service during the war. Pretty Russian girl from popular wartime song “Katyusha” appeared in Vladivostok thanks to a local historian Nelly Miz. She shared the idea on the Web and the local intelligentsia strongly supported her. St. Petersburg based artist Konstantin Novikov created a sketch, and Kemerovo based sculptor Ivan Kulakov made the monument.
In fact, the prototype of this monument, as well as the girl from the song was Katya Alexeeva (nee Filippova), a border guard’s wife. Matvey Blanter and Mikhail Isakovsky have created a great song after meeting with her. By the way, Katyusha is the Russian equivalent of Kate, or Catherine.
More »

Towards the Stars monument in Moscow

Towards the Stars monument in Moscow

Work by Soviet Sculptor Grigory Postnikov (14 October 1914 – 1978). Towards the Stars monument in Moscow

Towards the Stars monument in Moscow

The Sculpture “Towards the Stars” has been installed at the main entrance to the Catherine Park (then park of Central House of the Russian Army) in 1958, a year after the launch of the first artificial satellite of the Earth and the three years prior to the flight of Yuri Gagarin into space. Like Prometheus carrying fire to mankind, the sculpture depicts a young, half-naked and powerful titan in a loincloth. Like a flare into the sky, he launches a missile that rushes into the infinite blue sky toward new discoveries and adventures.
More »

Russian Empress Maria Alexandrovna monument

Russian Empress Maria Alexandrovna monument

Russian Empress Maria Alexandrovna monument in Mariinsk, Kemerovo region, Russia. Sculptor Leonty Usov

Russian Empress Maria Alexandrovna monument appeared in a small Siberian city of Mariinsk, on September 15, 2007. The author of the monument, Tomsk sculptor Leonty Usov created it on voluntary donations from individuals. The Empress sits on a bench and holds a dove in her hand – a traditional symbol of peace and the Holy Spirit. The bench has a place, specially left for those wishing to have a picture with her. By the way, the city got its name in honor of the Empress in 1857. Born Marie of Hesse and by Rhine German princess, became known in Russia as Maria Alexandrovna, the first wife of Emperor Alexander II. In addition, in Mariinsk there is also a bust of Emperor Alexander II. Besides, Mariinsk is the only town of Kuzbass (Kemerovo region), which the Russian Emperors have ever visited.
More »

Eastern Europe Monuments Park in Manchuria

Eastern Europe Monuments Park

Eastern Europe Monuments Park in China exhibits copies of exclusively Russian monuments and sculptures

Eastern Europe Monuments Park in Manchuria, that is in the northern China, on the border between China and Russia. Despite its name, the park exhibits copies of exclusively Russian monuments and sculptures. Among them are copy of the famous monument by Vera Mukhina “Worker and Collective Farm woman”, Bronze Horseman (copy of the monument to Peter The Great in St. Petersburg), copy of the Volgograd monument “Motherland Calls”, the monuments of famous Russian poets and writers such as Pushkin, Turgenev, and others. In the evening the sculptures are illuminated, the classical music and music of Soviet authors is played, that adds a special effect to the sculptural park in Chinese Manchuria.
More »

Russian-Armenian Friendship Monument Uniform Cross

Russian-Armenian Friendship Monument. 'Uniform cross'  Monument in Moscow (left, 1997) and in Yerevan (right, 2013). Granite. Authors FM Soghoyan, VF Soghoyan

Russian-Armenian Friendship Monument. ‘Uniform cross’ Monument in Moscow (left, 1997) and in Yerevan (right, 2013). Granite. Authors FM Soghoyan, VF Soghoyan

Uniform Cross – Russian-Armenian Friendship Monument

This white stone sculpture of two female figures united by the large cross is a monument to friendship between Russian and Armenian peoples. Between the two monuments – twenty years and almost two thousand kilometers. The first one was set in Moscow as a gift of Armenia to the 850th anniversary of Moscow (1997), the second, its copy, – in Yerevan in 2013. The authors of the ‘Uniform Cross’ Monument talented Armenian sculptors Frid and Vahe Soghoyan. Female figures represent Armenia and Russia, and the cross – a symbol of the common Christian faith, cementing their friendship. Relations between the two countries and cultures are quite immense, and numerous Armenian cultural sites and monuments in Moscow – a testament to this fact. In 1711 Peter the Great issued a decree, which said: “To care for Armenians as much as possible, and to facilitate what is needed, in order to get more arrivals and the desire to live in Russia”. Due to the fact that many Armenians settled in Stolpov Lane, in the XVIII century it was renamed in Armenian Lane.
More »

Loving eyes of Bronze Horseman monument

Loving eyes of Bronze Horseman monument

Loving eyes of Bronze Horseman monument

Loving eyes of Bronze Horseman monument

Masterpiece by French sculptor Etienne Maurice Falconet Bronze Horseman has become the most mysterious symbol of Saint Petersburg. Few people know that one of the most romantic symbols of the city – the Bronze Horseman is looking at the city with loving eyes, literally: each of his pupils made in the shape of a heart. The equestrian statue of the founder of St. Petersburg Peter the Great performed the French sculptor Etienne Falconet in 1768-1770 by order of Empress Catherine the Great. However, the head of the sculpture made his pupil – sculptor Marie-Anne Collot. The peculiarity of her creation was the fact that Peter’s pupils were made in the shape of hearts. There is a legend that the sculptor wanted to confess her love to the already middle-aged teacher.
More »

Farewell of Slavianka monument

Farewell of Slavianka monument

Closeup Farewell of Slavianka monument

Monument in honor of the famous march “Farewell of Slavianka”, dedicated to all Slavic women, seeing off their relatives to the war, appeared on May 8, 2014 at the Belorussky railway terminal in Moscow. The bronze sculpture was made by a team under the leadership of Salavat Shcherbakov. The sculptural composition depicts the scene of leaving to the front volunteers in the award-winning 1957 film “The Cranes Are Flying” by Mikhail Kalatozov. The cast in bronze two-meter monument of a soldier in uniform hugging his girlfriend depicts the moment of parting of two beautiful young people in love.
More »

Page 2 of 3123